May 14, 2010

Thriftstore find & a forgotten designer

A big thank you to everybody who answered my survey! Wow, I did not expect to get that many answers in such a short time. This is such a big help for my master thesis :-)

If you have not answered it yet, please do so. The more answers I get, the more it helps me to paint a clear picture of DIY fashion.


Silk scarf: Torrente (Thrift Store)
Cardigan: H & M
T-Shirt: Mango
Jeans: Only
Ballet flats: Deichmann

Today's outfit features my latest favorite thrift store find, a silk scarf from the French designer Torrente for only 3 €.




The name rang a bell but it took some research to refreshen my memory. This turned out to be more difficult than imagined. In fact, I had to retreat to French Wikipedia to find something about this apparently forgotten designer. So, I thought it would be nice to share my findings with you and maybe make this a reappearing feature. Let me know what you think!



The design house of Torrente was found by Rose Mett in 1968 in Paris. Before building her own fashion empire, she had worked for her brother Ted Lapidus, who apparently was a big designer during the sixties as he was featured several times in my Burdas from that era (maybe I will do my next forgotten designer on him). In the year 1971Torrente reached the status of a "Haute Couture" house.


During its high period, Torrente was worn by celebrities such as Marlene Dietrich, Romy Schneider and Nathalie Wood and its fashion was famous for its elegance. Madame Mett remained the CEO and art director of Torrente until 2003. The last Haute Couture show of Torrente took place in 2004. After this date it has gotten quiet around this once renowned French fashion house.

All pictures are from Torrente's Haute Couture shows of 2003 and found at Elle.

2 comments:

  1. what a great scarf, and wow, thank you for sharing this little story about the brand. Never knew about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your nice comment! I find it kind of sad when once big designers are forgotten. Your interest in this, convinced me that I should make it a regular feature.

    ReplyDelete