May 02, 2010

Sorry, I needed a break...

Sorry, for not posting for so long but I've been getting several bad news about people close to me that are critically ill. Of course, everything might turn out fine and I try to think as positive about it as possible. But still it is impossible not to worry. Unfortunately, this worry has eaten up all my energy but now I feel more prepared to cope with this situation and I really miss creating which can distract me from almost everything.



Today, I have been watching an extremly interesting documentation "The Corporation". You should watch it, if you get the chance. The documentation basically shows the negative sides of a corporation thereby considering its legal status as a class of person and evaluating its behaviour towards society and the world at large as a psychiatrist might evaluate an ordinary person. The result is shocking and underlines once more that we as consumers should take matters in our hands and only buy from companies that are ethical and sustainable.

This has convinced me even more that DIY is the way to go. I plan on sewing some new summer clothes for myself instead of buying them. This week I found that my go-to fabric store also has a factory outlet, so of course I had to check it out as soon as I got the chance. The result is enough fabrics to create:
  • 1 Longsleeve
  • 2 T-shirts
  • 1 Skirt
  • 1 Dress
  • 1 Top
And all that for less than 25 €. You can see the fabrics at my fabric gallery. So hopefully, I already have something new to show you next week.

The sunday bookmark will be posted later on. Happy Sunday!

1 comment:

  1. hi,
    thanks for pointing out the documentary -- sounds very interesting.
    i'm all for diy when it comes to most things and am trying to make my own clothes. wondering, though, whether the fabric one buys at a regular fabric store is any "better" in terms of sustainability and ethics. isn't most of the fabric produced in sweatshops just like your typical chain store garment? and what about water, energy, pesticides, etc.?
    i think the way to go here is LESS, LESS, LESS... i'm having a very hard time just buying what i really need and am therefore commited to exclusively sew with reclaimed fabric and wear stuff i get from the thrift store....
    by the way, i'm originally from germany, living in the us since 2002 and thinking about returning in a couple years. as i recall, there were some consignment stores, but NO thrift stores at all. has that changed? if you have time, you can email me at irisgp17@aol.com

    ReplyDelete