April 20, 2010

German cooking: Part 1


During my exchange semester in France, I really missed German food. Which is funny because I usually don't even eat much German food when in Germany. As I don't know whether I will be working in Germany later on, I took the resolution to learn how to cook German food. Today's dish is called "Kartoffelpuffer" in German, I guess this can be best translated as potatoe pancakes. They are really easy to make and you only need a few ingredients.

Ingredients:

  • 1 kilogram of potatoes

  • 2 eggs

  • 1 onion

  • salt

  • pepper
Preparation:

Peel the potatoes and grate them not too fine. Add the sliced onion and the 2 eggs. Flavor with pepper and salt. The dough needs actually quite a lot of salt. Heat oil in a pan and bake small pancakes until they are goldenbrown and crispy. You can eat them with sour cream and smoked salmon like on the photo. The traditional German way is with apple sauce, which is really yummy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment