May 03, 2009

Cleaning out the closet...

[Source]

With a consumption of 28 kg of textiles per head every year, Germany is leading in the consumption of textiles in front of the US and Switzerland. In fact, the average German citizen could manage without buying new clothing for 7 to 10 years without suffering any inefficiency of clothing. Merely the change of fashion, the desire for something new and successful advertising make sure that our wardrobes age in our minds and become obsolete before their time. Additional research showed that 10 to 15% of the clothing bought are only worn once or never.

All this and more, are reasons for me to change my consumption pattern. As preparation for my 2 month pledge at wardrobe refashion, I started organizing and cleaning out my closet. Here are some tips that might be useful for you too.

1. I cleaned out all the pieces of clothing that don't fit the season and stored them at my cellar in order to get a better overlook of what is in my closet and I can actually wear now.

2. I created different piles for those items that require mending, I don' t wear anymore or never wore but still like. Actually I'm not a big fan of the "not worn for a year get rid of it" theory. There are so many pieces in my closet that I have not worn for a long time but started wearing all of a sudden again because (at least my) taste changes back and forth. I guess you just have to figure out what works best for you. With those items I have never worn, I tried to figure out what was the reason for that and tried new combinations. For each single one I found a new way of wearing it that I have not thought of before.

3. Then I grouped all my clothing by categories; tops, t-shirts, skirts etc.

4. I tried to hang up as much clothing as possible, in particular those pieces that get wrinkles easily or loose their shape.

5. Afterwards I ordered each group by colors, starting with the lightest, ending with the darkest.

6. In addition, I ordered my accessories. I use a tie hanger for my belts and this special hanger with circles from Ikea for my scarves. Not trying to make any advertising but Ikea has a lot of great solutions to get your wardrobe more organized.


Now, I can see all the great stuff I already have in my wardrobe and mix and match it up in new different ways. Inspired? You can get more great tips on wardrobe organization at studentcharade and ask Nubby. You got more great tips? Let me know and have fun getting organized!

No comments:

Post a Comment